I’ve finally published Serendipity Road. If you’re interested in buying it, click the sidebar widget and go directly to my Smashwords page or click here. I was debating whether to publish on Smashwords or Book Baby, but decided on Smashwords for three reasons:
- I read some bad reviews about Book Baby
- Publishing on Smashwords is free
- The woman who made my cover recommended Smashwords
If you don’t have an ereader, download Calibre. The program is FREE and works brilliantly.
So far I’m happy with them. It’s amazing how many ebooks get published on Smashwords. I’ve already sold a few copies, but it looks like I’m going to have to do my own promotional work to keep up the momentum. I’ve already received one favorable review. Granted, it was from someone who plays a prominent part in the book, but I trust her objectivity. Here’s what she had to say after reading an earlier version and an edited version:
I am not sure how you arrived..but..you have changed an interesting and amateurishly written tale into a short book of brilliance..riveting..read it in one gulp
As I said, I trust her objectivity. My earlier version wasn’t very polished. After seven edits, I was finally happy with the book. Then it was just a matter of making a cover and getting it formatted. I sent it to the guy who formatted it for me prematurely, but he was kind enough to format the next version without charging more.
I’ve already written a few articles about Serendipity Road. I’ve also created a Facebook page. If you want to learn more about the book, start with my Facebook page. I’ve uploaded quite a few photographs and have included quotes from the book on relevant photographs. Here’s the list:
- My Facebook Page
- When Magic Realism is Real tells some of the more magical stories in Serendipity Road
- On self-publishing my ebook tells why I decided to self-publish
- Why I got cold feet about publishing Serendipity Road is self explanatory. I didn’t hold anything back to make myself look good. I’ve done some stupid things and I included them in the book.
Here are some of the people you’ll meet in Serendipity Road:
- Norman O. Brown: author of the 1966 bestseller, Love’s Body. He was my college professor and advisor
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti is a famous beat poet and owner of City Lights Books
- Neem Karoli Baba is best known as Ram Dass’s and Krishna Das’s guru. I spent nine months in India hanging around him. He is on the cover of my book
- Sathya Sai Baba was one person I didn’t want to visit in India. Neem Karoli Baba told me to go see him and I had an extraordinary experience when I went for his darshan
- Penny Sisto is a brilliant quilt artist
- And of course you’ll meet many lesser known, but equally interesting people
Finally, I’d like to thank Vila Design. I love the cover she made for me and she also introduced me to the man who formatted my book for epub. Both of them did great work for me. I hope you enjoy Serendipity Road. It was a labor of love.