As I and many more authoritative writers have said before, the problem is Zionism, not Judaism. Zionism is basically a political movement with a religious veneer and many Jews are against Zionism.
With that out of the way, we can look at the Zionist movement in a new light, free from the guilt that has made so many of us hesitate to criticise Israel’s actions in Gaza. So much has been written to debunk arguments for the latest Gaza “campaign,” it would be silly for me to repeat what others have already written so well. I was going to compile a list of articles and videos, but someone else did it for me. Ghazala Mehboob Irshad wrote it all out on her Facebook page. Here is her list of links:
- Debunking the myths about Gaza: The truth behind Israeli and Palestinian talking points, by Omar Biddar in Salon
- Debunking Israel’s 11 Main Myths About Gaza, Hamas and War Crimes, by Mehdi Hasan in the Huffington Post
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked, by Noura Erakat in The Nation.
- Five Misconceptions About the Israel-Palestine Conflict, by Hessam Akhlaghpour in Truthout
- No, Israel Does Not Have the Right to Self-Defense In International Law Against Occupied Palestinian Territory, by Noura Erakat in Jadaliyya
- Collective punishment or human shields? Israel’s military has no “moral superiority,” time for media to cover Gaza fairly, by Omar Biddar in Salon
- 9 things the American media isn’t telling you about Israel/Palestine, by Alastair Sloan in Mondoweiss
- What The Media Isn’t Telling You About Israel’s Attack On Gaza, by Ori Lewis, YouTube video
- Palestinian rockets: The conversation no one is having, by Pam Bailey in Mondoweiss
- HANDBOOK: Talking points and context for Israeli assault on Gaza, in American Muslims for Palestine
- Life In Gaza Explained, by AJ+ Labs, YouTube video
- 9 Graphics to Help You Understand What Life Is Really Like in Gaza, by Bethan Parry on World.Mic
- Israeli Settlements Explained, by AJ+ Labs, YouTube video
- US Aid To Israel – The Real Deal, by AJ+ Labs, YouTube video
- Controversial, illegal, and documented: Israeli military strategies in Gaza, by Sami Kashiwi on Mondoweiss
And here are a few more great articles I’ve found since I originally posted the list above:
- Ex-Israeli soldier speaks out… what he says will change everything you think you know about Israel!, by HR on DigitalResistance
- Reflections By An ARAB JEW, by Ella Habiba Shohat on Bint Jbeil
- Israel is the Golden Calf, by Kevin Coval on Mondoweiss
I’ve chosen these three articles out of dozens I’ve read because they look at Judaism, Zionism and the experiences of IDF soldiers from angles I’ve never or rarely read before and definitely wouldn’t find on the MSM.
Someone on Facebook accused me of being one-sided. Yes, I have become one-sided. It has been a gradual process from being one-sided in Israel’s defense when I was a teenager; to having my doubts in my twenties; to sitting on the fence throughout most of my adult life; and finally to becoming one-sided in my position against Zionism.
I never took the time to explore the true history of the Zionist movement or the motives and actions of Israel’s leaders after WWII when I was younger and believed what I was taught in school. When I learned the truth, I realised that Zionist Israel is really no different to Nazi Germany. Ethnic cleansing is their goal. They have just been more patient and surreptitious about it than the Nazis.
I’m going to leave you with an embedded video, The Zionist Story. An “independent film by Ronen Berelovich, [it]is the story of ethnic cleansing, colonialism and apartheid to produce a demographically Jewish State.” I chose this one because it is made from the “perspective of an Israeli, ex-reserve soldier and someone who has spent his entire life in the shadow of Zionism.” It’s very well done and packs a lot of information in an hour and 15 minutes. I can’t say, “Enjoy,” but I do hope a few readers will take the time to watch and share it.